activemq-users mailing list archives

From Sachindra Nath <>
Subject RE: ActiveMQ RA: how to make MDB with CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:46:51 GMT
Hi Ivan,
  You can't do that. It'd be against the EJB specifications. See below:

5.4.14 Message Acknowledgment for JMS Message-Driven Beans
JMS message-driven beans should not attempt to use the JMS API for message acknowledgment.
acknowledgment is automatically handled by the container. If the message-driven bean uses
managed transaction demarcation, message acknowledgment is handled automatically as a part
the transaction commit. If bean-managed transaction demarcation is used, the message receipt
cannot be
part of the bean-managed transaction, and, in this case, the receipt is acknowledged by the
container. If
bean-managed transaction demarcation is used, the Bean Provider can indicate whether JMS
AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE semantics or DUPS_OK_ACKNOWLEDGE semantics should apply by using the
activationConfig element of the MessageDriven annotation or by using the activation-
config-property deployment descriptor element. The property name used to specify the
acknowledgment mode is acknowledgeMode. If the acknowledgeMode property is not specified,
JMS AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE semantics are assumed. The value of the acknowledgeMode property
must be either Auto-acknowledge or Dups-ok-acknowledge for a JMS message-driven bean.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan Pechorin []
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 5:56 PM
Subject: ActiveMQ RA: how to make MDB with CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE?

We have a message-driven bean in JBoss with ActiveMQ resource adapter (RA).
It seems like ActiveMQ RA doesn't support CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode. It

Basically, I need to be able to leave a message in queue if something bad
happened inside method onMessage() of my MDB. How can I achieve this?

P.S. Any help of link to proper piece of documentation is highly appreciated
(I failed to find it).

Best regards, Ivan

Confidentiality notice:  This message may contain confidential information.  It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not that person, you should not use
this message.  We request that you notify us by replying to this message, and then delete
all copies including any contained in your reply.  Thank you.

View raw message