activemq-users mailing list archives

From E White <ewh...@synapticfire.net>
Subject Topic Memory Increases until broker dies
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:22:52 GMT

We have a java swing client that gets its data updates by subscribing to an
ActiveMQ topic.  All clients (about a hundred at any given time) subscribe
to the same topic.  Subscribers vary and are not durable, but the messages
are persistent.

I have seen the "inflight count" slowly, but steadily increase and then the
"memory percent used" value spike, leaving the broker deadlocked and no
longer processing messages, but not failing.  The whole scenario takes about
a week.  And this makes our client application look like it is hung after it
occurs.

How do I keep messages from getting orphaned when a user closes their
client?  I think that is where most of my "inflight" number is coming from.
Users close the client right as it has received a message but before it can
send the ack.
How do I make "inflight" messages expire?  I've played around with setting
"timetolive" in my test environment, but it does not seem to affect messages
that are stuck "inflight".

We are using ActiveMQ 5.3.0.