activemq-users mailing list archives

From roxanac <maria_...@hotmail.com>
Subject Topics messages don't expire
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:38:55 GMT

Hello!
I have a problem or at least a thing that is not very clear for me.
I am publishing non-persistent messages in a topic, having TimeToLive set to
5 seconds for producer and for message also ( I have a C# producer but this
is not that relevant since I get the same behavior with a Java producer ).
But in JConsole there is no registered expired message even after letting
the producer publish messages for a very long time. All it seams to happen
is that the Queue size of the topic is continuously increasing no matter if
topic consumers exist or not.

ex.:
DequeueCount = 16402
DispatchCount = 16402
EnqueueCount= 16443
ExpiredCount=0
QueueSize=16443

in activemq.xml I have the following:

<policyEntry topic=">"
		producerFlowControl="false"
		memoryLimit="20mb"
		optimizedDispatch="true"
		lazyDispatch="false"
		strictOrderDispatch="true"
		expireMessagesPeriod="1000">

		<deadLetterStrategy>
			<individualDeadLetterStrategy processExpired="false" />
		</deadLetterStrategy>

		<pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
			<constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit="1"/>
		</pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
</policyEntry>

If I do the same thing for a queue the messages are expiring just fine, so
no problem there, but I need a similar behavior for topics.
I might be doing something wrong or this is just not working....

I wrote in other post here the following:

Wrt AMQ 5.3. By default, persistent messages that expire are automatically
moved from their destination to the DLQ. However, non-persistent messages
that expire are automatically removed/deleted from their destination.

By default, the message broker sweeps destinations of expired messages every
30 seconds. You can change this default via the 'expireMessagesPeriod'
property.

Thank you!
Roxana