activemq-users mailing list archives

From mdeguzman <>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ 5.2.0 - Problem starting a BrokerService programmatically.
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 07:20:27 GMT

bsnyder wrote:
> Looks like the problem is above. There must be a lock on the data
> directory that hasn't been removed. Do you have more than one broker
> pointed at the same data directory? If so, this is correct
> functionality and is known as shared filesystem master/slave:
> If you don't have another broker pointed at the same data directory,
> then it sounds like there might be a stale lock on the data directory.
> You can manually locate the lock file and remove it or you can delete
> the data directory completely and ActiveMQ will create a new data
> directory upon restart.
> Make sure that you're shutting down the broker using the
> BrokerService.stop() method?
> Bruce
> --
> perl -e 'print
> );'
> Apache ActiveMQ -
> Apache Camel -
> Apache ServiceMix -
> Blog:

We're having a similar problem to this. We only have one broker. It seems
that there's a stale lock in our data directory. Deleting the activemq-data
and restarting the server resolves the problem. But this means a manual
delete and delay in processing.

Is there a way to determine programatically if there is a stale lock in the
data directory and force release the lock?