activemq-users mailing list archives

From EnriqueF <eflor...@gmail.com>
Subject Configuring message expiration as a queue policy
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:08:30 GMT

My use case requires that messages on a certain queue expire eventually, as
stale data will result in damage to customer product. The message producers
are embedded devices connecting with STOMP. Initially I was using the stomp
'expires' header with no success, messages would get dropped immediately..
until looking at the activeMQ source I realized the expiration needs to be
set as absolute time instead of relative.. I find this implementation choice
to be very odd, as it requires the client to have clocks synced with the
broker, but in my application this cannot be relied upon, we have hundreds
of these devices throughout the production floor.. and if the time and date
were set wrong, or if the clocks drifted enough, the results would be very
bad. So my question is, can I instead configure a queue on the broker side
to enforce a time-to-live policy even if messsages have expires=0?