activemq-users mailing list archives

From boday <>
Subject clustering options for HA and horizontal scalability
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:35:38 GMT

I'm trying to determine my options for clustering my AMQ 5.3 application that
uses ServiceMix 3.3.1 and Camel 2.1.  I'm performing high volume message
processing and I need to cluster for high availability and horizontal

Here is basically what my application does (using Apache

So, I've read all the ActiveMQ and ServiceMix clustering pages, but am still
not sure what to do.

I know I can use a Master/Slave setup for HA, but that doesn't help with

I've read about network of brokers, but am not sure how this applies to my
application.  For example, if I deploy identical Camel components on
multiple nodes in a cluster, how will the nodes "interact" exactly?  If I
point my HTTP producer at one node (NodeA), which messages will get sent to
NodeB?  Will the queues/topics be shared between Node A/B...if so how, are
messages split or duplicated?  Also, how would an external client subscribe
to my "outboundTopic" exactly (and get all messages, etc)?

Alternatively, I've been thinking that I should just share a single AMQ
broker between multiple ServiceMix instances.  That would be cleaner in that
there would only be one set of queues/topics to manage and I could scale by
adding more instances.  But, now I'm limited to the vertical scalability of
a single broker and I'm back to a single point of failure...

If anyone can clarify the trade-offs for me...I'd appreciate it.

Also, I posted this on the Camel forum as well...not sure where it best fits

Ben - Senior Consultant
using SMX 3.3.1/Camel 2.1