activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rudolf Janz <rudolf.j...@gmx.net>
Subject Zero Prefetch Not Working in 5.3.0
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:06:51 GMT
Hello,

I have problems using a prefetch of Zero. The consumer starts
prefetching messages after some receives.

Our use case is, that we have a large computation which is split into
smaller sub jobs. These jobs are sent via ActiveMQ to some processing
nodes on different machines. The duration of jobs differs very much
(10s to some minutes). The jobs are sent by decreasing estimated
computation time. If one of the consumers which receives a large job
prefetches some other jobs, these will be processed later. In the
meantime the remaining consumers are idle, and the total computation
time is much longer than necessary.

I have modified the existing ZeroPrefetchConsumerTest to test for the
problem (I have removed the other test methods).

Two consumers (C1  and C2) are instantiated. These messages are sent:
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

C1 reads 4 times, receives 1,2,3,4 -> this is correct

now C2 reads, it receives 8 not 5, which is the next message in the
queue. The reason is, that C1 prefetched 5, 6, 7, that should not have
happened.(sometimes C1 only prefetches 5,6)

The problem can be seen in the JMX Console as well, after a while, the
first consumer has more than one dispatched message and the queue has
an InflightCount of 3, although there are only two consumers!

I have tried debugging in the ActiveMQConsumer code, but did not get
far. If somebody can give me a pointer where to look, I might give it
another try.

   Regards
   Rudolf Janz