activemq-users mailing list archives

From Marc Weil <marc.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Large BLOBs cause crash with IllegalArgumentException
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:43:07 GMT
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to send a large (~1.6GB) BlobMessage to my ActiveMQ server via a
queue and every time I try I get a seemingly endless series
of IllegalArgumentExceptions with the same backtrace:

ERROR | EXCEPTION
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at java.nio.Buffer.position(Buffer.java:235)
        at org.mortbay.io.nio.NIOBuffer.poke(NIOBuffer.java:142)
        at org.mortbay.io.AbstractBuffer.put(AbstractBuffer.java:391)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.reset(HttpParser.java:844)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.destroy(HttpConnection.java:131)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractConnector.connectionClosed(AbstractConnector.java:785)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.access$100(SelectChannelConnector.java:64)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector$1.endPointClosed(SelectChannelConnector.java:92)
        at
org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.doUpdateKey(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:382)
        at
org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectorManager$SelectSet.doSelect(SelectorManager.java:337)
        at
org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectorManager.doSelect(SelectorManager.java:166)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.accept(SelectChannelConnector.java:124)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractConnector$Acceptor.run(AbstractConnector.java:537)
        at
org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)

I'm assuming this is coming from the built-in Jetty fileserver. I've googled
around for quite a while but can't seem to find anything recent about this
problem. I am giving ActiveMQ 5Gb of RAM in the startup script, so I don't
think that is the issue (unless jetty also needs to be forced to start with
a certain heap size).

My server is a 4-processor, 8-core machine running Ubuntu x86-64, ActiveMQ
5.3.0, and OpenJDK 1.6.0 64-bit server edition. The machine itself has 32Gb
of RAM so I have plenty of memory to play with.

I'm not really sure what else to use since the docs on BlobMessages only
briefly mentions using other out-of-band solutions (SCP, FTP, etc) without
going into any details. If anyone has any ideas of where I need to look to
trace the root cause, or has any other ideas about how to try configuring
things, I'd greatly appreciate it. Perhaps I'm not supposed to be using the
built-in jetty server for such large messages?

Thanks,
Marc