activemq-users mailing list archives

From fehm <Felix....@cern.ch>
Subject Re: What does the topic size attribute actually mean ?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:08:48 GMT

The 'size' in the statistics you see is the total number of messages which
have been sent to this topic. Unsurprisingly, for topics it is the same as
enqueueCount.

I can only image these numbers to differ when you have a queue instead of
topic. Then, the size represents the number of message in the queue, which
haven't yet been picked up (enqueueCount - dequeueCount = size). In a Topic
you don't have the concept of messages which have to be picked up. If nobody
is subscribed to a topic the message sent there is dropped. This is not
necessarily the case for a Queue. Therefore the size indicator makes sense.

walec51 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking and the topic xml file generated by the web admin of ActiveMQ
> 5.3 and I see that my topic's size are always equal to the number on
> enqueued messages. Like this for example:

-----
Felix Ehm,
www.cern.ch