activemq-users mailing list archives

From Danilo Tuler <>
Subject Usage Manager memory limit reached for topic. Producer hangs
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:57:28 GMT

My setup is:

- single AMQ 5.3 broker, with no persistence (persitent="false")
- useDedicatedTaskRunner=false
- two nio producers
- around 70 tcp consumer
- 5000 topics total with lastImageSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy and
- producers do asyncSend
- no producerFlowControl configuration
- memoryUsage limit=4gb
- tempUsage limit=2gb
- -Xmx4gb with 64-bit JVM on Windows 2008

MemoryPercentUsage is constantly below 1, but all of a sudden I get a "Usage
Manager memory limit reached for topic", and the producer hangs.

Before messing with producerFlowControl I would like to understand what this
means and what may be causing it. Is this a problem with the producers or
the consumers? What should I monitor besides MemoryPercentUsage? I've read
the following pages: