activemq-users mailing list archives

From Fred Moore <fred.moor...@gmail.com>
Subject WebSphere MQ veteran new to ActiveMQ questions
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:16:16 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm an IBM WebSphere MQ veteran new to ActiveMQ, I recently started
exploring ActiveMQ: great product, really great features... with some
aspects just a little bit confusing for senior citizens like me :-) coming
from years dwelling in WMQ-land.

My general question here is: are there any resources available for quickly
getting experiences WMQers up to speed with ActiveMQ?

Moreover I have a few more specific but very newbie level questions, in case
someone has the patience tackle them:

1\ In a broker2broker scenario (BRK1 --> BRK2) in the event of a network
outage msgs will pile up on the BRK1
1.1\ where will they be internally stored? a hidden queue or something like
it? (in WMQ a "special" queue called trasmission queue handles this).
1.2\ how can I inspect how many messages are waiting to be delivered to a
particular remote broker?

2\ In a broker2broker scenario (BRK1 --> BRK2) I want to send a message from
BRK1 to a queue Q2 residing on the remote broker BRK2, the appropriate
network and protocol connectors are already in place
2.1\ Do I have to define any queue/pointers on BRK1 to point to Q2@BRK2? (in
WMQ a "special" queue called remote queue definition handles this)
2.2\ ...if not: does this mean that conceptually all queues in a network of
connected brokers belong to the same "namespace" (i.e. Q2 is known to be
residing on BRK1 by all brokers in the network)
2.3\ ...if so: what happens to message routing when two queues with the same
name are defined on two distinct interconnected brokers? (in WMQ Clusters
(good feature, bad name: it's not related to HA) this causes dynamic
workload distribution between the two queue instances)

3\ In a broker2broker hub & spoke scenario (BRKH being the hub, BRKS1 BRKS2
BRKS3 being the spokes) I want enroll a new spoke broker BRK4 without having
to touch BRKH configuration
3.1\ Is it correct to say that all I have to do is plug a network connector
to BRK4 pointing to BRKH?
3.2\ Is it correct to say that setting the network connector attribute
duplex=true will enable full two way connectivity between BRK4 and BRKH?

I guess this is more than enough for a first post!

Thanks in advance and congrats for the product, I hope to have the chance of
seriously working with it soon.
Cheers,
F.

PS: ...hey any Hursley lurkers out there? :-)