activemq-users mailing list archives

From Mitch Granger <>
Subject Re: How to limit queue by number of messages
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:02:08 GMT

Dave Stanley wrote:
> I think an EvictionStrategy might work. You can evict least recent or
> most recent messages once your queue gets to a certain size.

MessageEvictionStrategy is mentioned in the slow consumer section of the
website ( in the
same section as Pending Message Limit Strategy.  I tried the latter and
it seems to apply to pending messages on a topic for a particular
consumer rather than pending messages on a queue for any consumer.

I'll give it a try anyways and report back.  It does sound promising,
thanks for the tip!

> Cheer's,
> /Dave
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Gary Tully <> wrote:
>> Using memory limits or store usage limits with an expiry time are your
>> options for queues at the moment. I think this requirement has been
>> mentioned before, especially for non persistent messages. An internal
>> consumer triggered off the queue size counter could do the necessary. What
>> sort of options would you require w.r.t dealing with discarded messages?
>> What happens in MQ when the maxdepth is reached?
>> Could you raise an enhancement request for this feature?
>> 2009/10/22 Mitch Granger <>
>>> To be clearer, I'm looking for something like Websphere MQ's maxdepth
>>> property for queues.
>> --
>> Open Source Integration

View raw message