activemq-users mailing list archives

From lyall <>
Subject Howto Run ActiveMQ 5.2 in Tomcat 6 on Windows?
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:38:41 GMT

I am looking for a simple, step by step, howto, to setup ActiveMQ with the
web console, running in Tomcat 6.

Where can I find one?

I already have a standalone configuration of ActiveMQ working just fine.
I want to move ActiveMQ into Tomcat.

I have setup Tomcat.
I have copied the activemq-all-5.2.0.jar into the tomcat\lib directory
I have deployed the activemq-web-console-5.2.0.war
I have edited the tomcat\bin\startup.bat file to include

 set JAVA_OPTS="-Dwebconsole.type=properties
-Dwebconsole.jmx.role=  -Dwebconsole.jmx.password=
-Dactivemq.username=system -Dactivemq.password=manager"

Although, I admit I would be happier with jndi settings but I am only a
beginner at Tomcat configuration. I think I would prefer to set it up in the
conf/context.xml but don't know how.

The ActiveMQ web console shows up as an application, but fails to start,
with the following helpful error.

INFO: Deploying web application archive activemq-web-console-5.2.0.war
2009-09-30 16:57:39,463 [main           ] DEBUG WebConsoleStarter
- Initializing ActiveMQ WebConsole...
Sep 30, 2009 4:57:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Sep 30, 2009 4:57:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/activemq-web-console-5.2.0] startup failed due to previous

I have tried copying all the activemq/conf files into the
tomcat\webapps\activemq-web-console-5.2.0\WEB-INF directory, although, I
admit to being uncomfortable with that - there must be a better way.

I also admit to being a but cautious about editing the tomcat startup