activemq-users mailing list archives

From RKParkJr <ronald.p...@cbs.com>
Subject Starting 2 (or more) Brokers in a single config
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:47:05 GMT

Hello,

I have just started with ActiveMQ and am looking at how we will internally
repackage it.  At this time, we have two existing (yet seperate) groups
using the system, each with their own packaging/deployment; I am trying to
generalize what they have for potentially many different organizations
within our company.

Enough preamble... on to my problem. :)

I am trying to find a way to correctly configure a different JMX port than
the (seemingly undocumented port 1099).

Initially, I make only these few changes to the default config:

...he-activemq-5.2.0> diff conf/activemq.xml conf/activemq.xml.orig
33c33
<     <broker useJmx="true" xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core"
brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data">
---
>     <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core"
> brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data">
56c56
<             <managementContext createConnector="true"/>
---
>             <managementContext createConnector="false"/>

Startup and stopping are clean with just these changes:

...he-activemq-5.2.0> bin/activemq-admin start &
[1] 24250
...he-activemq-5.2.0> ACTIVEMQ_HOME: /var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0
ACTIVEMQ_BASE: /var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0
INFO  DefaultCamelContext            - JMX enabled. Using
InstrumentationLifecycleStrategy.
INFO  BrokerService                  - Using Persistence Adapter:
AMQPersistenceAdapter(/var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0/data)
INFO  AMQPersistenceAdapter          - AMQStore starting using directory:
/var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0/data
INFO  KahaStore                      - Kaha Store using data directory
/var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0/data/kr-store/state
INFO  AMQPersistenceAdapter          - Active data files: []
INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ 5.2.0 JMS Message Broker
(localhost) is starting
INFO  BrokerService                  - For help or more information please
see: http://activemq.apache.org/
INFO  ManagementContext              - JMX consoles can connect to
service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/jmxrmi
INFO  KahaStore                      - Kaha Store using data directory
/var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0/data/kr-store/data
INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
tcp://cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com:61616
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector openwire Started
INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
ssl://cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com:61617
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector ssl Started
INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
stomp://cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com:61613
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector stomp Started
INFO  TransportServerThreadSupport   - Listening for connections at:
xmpp://cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com:61222
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector xmpp Started
INFO  NetworkConnector               - Network Connector default-nc Started
INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ JMS Message Broker
(localhost, ID:cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com-48711-1252597129965-0:0) started
INFO  log                            - Logging to
org.slf4j.impl.JCLLoggerAdapter(org.mortbay.log) via
org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog
INFO  log                            - jetty-6.1.9
INFO  WebConsoleStarter              - ActiveMQ WebConsole initialized.
INFO  /admin                         - Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet
'dispatcher'
INFO  log                            - ActiveMQ Console at
http://0.0.0.0:8161/admin
INFO  log                            - ActiveMQ Web Demos at
http://0.0.0.0:8161/demo
INFO  log                            - RESTful file access application at
http://0.0.0.0:8161/fileserver
INFO  log                            - Started
SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:8161
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector vm://localhost Started

...he-activemq-5.2.0>
...he-activemq-5.2.0> bin/activemq-admin stop
ACTIVEMQ_HOME: /var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0
ACTIVEMQ_BASE: /var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0
Stopping broker: localhost
INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ Message Broker (localhost,
ID:cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com-48711-1252597129965-0:0) is shutting down
INFO  NetworkConnector               - Network Connector default-nc Stopped
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector openwire Stopped
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector ssl Stopped
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector stomp Stopped
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector xmpp Stopped
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector vm://localhost Stopped
INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ JMS Message Broker
(localhost, ID:cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com-48711-1252597129965-0:0) stopped
[1]  + done       bin/activemq-admin start

[Note the JMX port at 1099.]

Because we may have multiple applications, each starting and stopping their
own brokers independently, I need to 'templatize' the config, allowing each
application to set independent ports (broker names, data files, etc) and
access the appropriate JMX port for them.  So, I add the following change:

...he-activemq-5.2.0> diff conf/activemq.xml conf/activemq.xml.orig
33c33
<     <broker useJmx="true" xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core"
brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data">
---
>     <broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core"
> brokerName="localhost" dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data">
56c56
<             <managementContext createConnector="true"
connectorPort="61618" />
---
>             <managementContext createConnector="false"/>

And it starts up just fine:

...he-activemq-5.2.0> bin/activemq-admin start &
[1] 24619
[...]
service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:61618/jmxrmi
[...]
(localhost, ID:cn-sfo1-pma-theoden.cnet.com-48733-1252597448818-0:0) started
INFO  log                            - Logging to
org.slf4j.impl.JCLLoggerAdapter(org.mortbay.log) via
org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog
INFO  log                            - jetty-6.1.9
INFO  WebConsoleStarter              - ActiveMQ WebConsole initialized.
INFO  /admin                         - Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet
'dispatcher'
INFO  log                            - ActiveMQ Console at
http://0.0.0.0:8161/admin
INFO  log                            - ActiveMQ Web Demos at
http://0.0.0.0:8161/demo
INFO  log                            - RESTful file access application at
http://0.0.0.0:8161/fileserver
INFO  log                            - Started
SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:8161
INFO  TransportConnector             - Connector vm://localhost Started

But stopping doesn't work at all:

...he-activemq-5.2.0> bin/activemq-admin stop
ACTIVEMQ_HOME: /var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0
ACTIVEMQ_BASE: /var/tmp/amqt/apache-activemq-5.2.0
ERROR: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to execute stop task. Reason:
java.io.IOException: Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub:
javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost; nested
exception is:
	java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to execute stop task. Reason:
java.io.IOException: Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub:
javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost; nested
exception is:
	java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]
        .... [trimming the stack dump] ....

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron