activemq-users mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ without J2EE
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:08:38 GMT
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM, gonzus<gonzalo.diethelm@diethelm.org> wrote:

> If these questions don't make much sense, please bear with me; I am just
> getting into JMS.
>
> I am interested in using ActiveMQ to develop "pure" JMS applications, that
> will run without any J2EE container. I believe this is possible, but was
> surprised to see the ActiveMQ "minimal" JARs include:
>
> geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
> geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.1.1.jar
> geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0.1.jar
>
> This makes me think there might be a tighter coupling between ActiveMQ and
> J2EE than I would wish, but I would love to be "de-assed". What is the case?

Those JARs are just APIs for a given specification. In other words,
those JARs contain the interfaces put forth by each of those specs.
The j2ee-management spec deals with JMX, the JMS spec deals with JMS,
the JTA spec deals with transactionality. These JARs do not tightly
couple ActiveMQ with Java EE. ActiveMQ can be used with a Java EE
container, a web container or in a stand alone environment. In fact,
the most popular deployment style with ActiveMQ is stand alone.

> Or perhaps I am wrong and the only "hard" requirement for these JARs stems
> from JMS's use of JNDI? Is this the case?

See my answer above. Also, none of those JARs has anything to do with JNDI.

> Would it be possible to use ActiveMQ without these JARs?

No, the JMS spec requires the use of these specs.

> Is there any way to develop ActiveMQ applications that do not use JNDI?
> Perhaps via Spring?

Yes, the use of JNDI is not a requirement. ActiveMQ supports the use
of JNDI but does not require it.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/