activemq-users mailing list archives

From moonbird <moonb...@ymail.com>
Subject JNDI with ActiveMQ embedded in JBoss AS
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:23:09 GMT

Hi,

i have successfully embedded ActiveMQ via JCA/RA in JBoss 5.1:
http://activemq.apache.org/integrating-apache-activemq-with-jboss.html

Now I like to use JNDI to lookup ActiveMQs ConnectionFactory and the
Destinations from a java/jms client outside the application server.

My Problem is, that i get a null pointer object back form jndi lookup, and
this is obviously not new:
http://www.nabble.com/JBoss-and-ActiveMQ-with-remote-JNDI-to16961289.html#a16961289

In this thread some JBoss guy writes about this architecture problem:
JBoss answer
"/The connection factories provided by a Resource Adapter (RA) are
typically not available for use by clients that are outside of the
application server. That is, the JCA specification is intended to
provided resources to the application server, and relies upon behavior
on the part of the application server in connection pool management,
transaction management, and security.

Also, for this reason, the JNDI location of the RA's ConnectionFactories
should be located in the "java:" namespace. This namespace is local to
the jvm and has no visibility to external clients./"

So my question is, may I use MQ Providers from Clients outside the
application server or may i only use it via EJB components like MDBs ?

I am confused - because JBoss Messaging is (as far as i know) also embedded
via JCA and also bound to global JNDI and - I can successfully lookup the
JBoss Messaging ConnectionFactory from a client outside !!! Why does it work
- is this bug a feature ? ;-)

Thx so far !