activemq-users mailing list archives

From Jose Luna <j-l...@rocketmail.com>
Subject Re: Replye-Request pattern performance
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 05:36:07 GMT

> We have a pool of generic clients that each is listening to it's own
> temporary queue and all write to a common queue. These connections are
> open at creation time. They remain open until they get evicted by the
> pool manager.
>
> We have different applications that use this pool, and the size of the
> pool is between 200-500 ,so  we may have 2500 clients connected (each
> one with it's own temporary queue).
>
> My question is: What is the performance penalty of using temporary
> queues?
>
> Should I consider using one single queue for the receiving of the
> messages, and dispatch it using correlation Id?
>
> Will this improve the performance on my system?

There is definitely a performance penalty for using temporary queues.  There is overhead when
creating/destroying the queues, and in terms of memory usage there is the default stack size
allocated for each thread.  If recommend reading http://www.nabble.com/Large-number-of-queues-(HowTo)-to23602928.html
for some info on how to improve performance with a large number of queues.

JLuna