activemq-users mailing list archives

From ShrubMiK <ran...@rexmond.com>
Subject 5.2.0 - Problem with broker discovery on linux - hostnames not resolved
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:14:27 GMT

Hi,

I've tried this with both the default broker config (multicast discovery),
and rendezvous.

Brokers on Windows hosts find each other and transfer messages amongst
themselves, no problems.

With one or more linux hosts involved however I start seeing errors like
these in the output from the message brokers:

WARN  DiscoveryNetworkConnector      - Could not start network bridge
between: vm://localhost and: tcp://Shrubuntu:61616
 due to: java.net.UnknownHostException: Shrubuntu
INFO  DemandForwardingBridge         - localhost bridge to Unknown stopped
INFO  DiscoveryNetworkConnector      - Establishing network connection
between from vm://localhost to tcp://Shrubuntu:61616
WARN  DiscoveryNetworkConnector      - Could not start network bridge
between: vm://localhost and: tcp://Shrubuntu:61616
 due to: java.net.UnknownHostException: Shrubuntu
INFO  DemandForwardingBridge         - localhost bridge to Unknown stopped
INFO  DiscoveryNetworkConnector      - Establishing network connection
between from vm://localhost to tcp://Shrubuntu:61616

So I'm thinking the brokers find each other by hostname, and then need to
convert to IP address...which they can't because there is no nameserver for
the linux hosts. (I'm not sure how Windows avoids this problem - I assume
its inbuilt network browsing maintains the mapping and therefore functions
like a nameserver).

I can't solve it by adding entries to /etc/hosts on the linux boxes - even
if I was up for the maintenance overhead, we cannot guarantee static IP
addresses all places we will be deploying.

I imagine running a nameserver on one of the linux hosts will resolve it -
again I'd rather not do that, just a bit more complexity on our deployed
network, and another point of failure. It's a short term solution, but not
ideal when we are deploying for real.

So I was wondering if there is a way of configuring the message brokers to
avoid the problem - e.g. discover each other by IP address , no need for
hostname conversions. Didn't find anything in the ActiveMQ documentation or
FAQ.

I did however comes across this in the forum:
http://www.nabble.com/-activemq-user---zeroconf-problem-with-local-hostnames-to658016.html#a658016

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for - did anything ever
come of it?

Any other alternative solutions spring to anybody's mind?