activemq-users mailing list archives

From Arjen van der Meijden <acmmail...@tweakers.net>
Subject Re: too many open files
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 05:51:46 GMT
There may be at one or more of these three issues that I ran into:

- You actually have a too low setting for the open files. Try increasing
it (see man ulimit etc, be careful that normally only root can increase
it beyond 1024, but other programs, including su do inherit it).

- You're opening and closing connections too fast, this is what we had:
Adding the "?transport.closeAsync=false"-parameter to the url helped us
here.

- You're queues may be getting larger than the limits. Especially the
5mb per queue limit in the default configuration is easy to hit. Once I
raised the global limits and removed the per-queue/topic limits it has
worked stable for several months in a row (since feb 19 our single
broker has queued and dequeued over 300M tiny messages).

30 and 250 producers isn't that many, so unless they're maxing out your
broker system on some other resource than file pointers, my guess is the
single machine should be able to handle them.

Best regards,

Arjen