activemq-users mailing list archives

From Sachindra Nath <Sachindra.N...@efi.com>
Subject RE: Large File Transfer
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 05:00:28 GMT
Hi Lou,
  My two cents on this. The activemq team possibly chose http/ftp over raw tcp sockets to
get around
1. firewall/proxy setups that may be possible between an ActiveMQ broker and the file server.
Using pre-defined ports can allow you to control the traffic.
2. A higher level protocol like http/ftp would ensure that you could use the broker and the
file server on discrete systems (different architectures, different languages without caring
for the byte ordering issues that are prevalent in raw tcp connections).

Regards
Sachindra

-----Original Message-----
From: Lou Parisi [mailto:Lou.Parisi@photomask.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:17 AM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Large File Transfer

I have made some sample applications using ActiveMQ BlobMessage and
everything is working.  I have a few questions regarding the best
implementation.

1. Since these are large files is there any built in capability to resume
the file transfer from point of failure if a failure occurs while receiving
the file at the destination?

I have some questions from our infrastructure team asking why the file must
be sent by http or ftp and why not send by direct tcp socket connection like
some peer-to-peer connection between sender and consumer.
1. Is it possible to do something like this using the BlobMessage framework
2. Are there drawbacks to such an implementation that directed you to using
the Jetty HTTP server for transfer?

Thanks for any feedback or comments.