activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Michael S." <mst...@ag.com>
Subject HA Active MQ question
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 19:21:31 GMT

All,

I've searched through existing messages, but I've not seen messages that
seem to address my question(s) directly.

I'm trying to design an Active MQ setup with the following properties:

1. HA - I'd like our setup to be available 99.9% of the time.
2. Messages don't get lost - this is probably the most important
requirement.

We'll be running our Active MQ instances on CentOS Linux, optionally backed
by MySQL data stores. We'll be using Active MQ 5.2.

I've looked through the Master/Slave documentation but I find it confusing.
My first thought was to have a master/slave setup with a shared database.
However, how do the clients (Stomp) know how to switch from one server to
the other? Does that logic need to be written into the client? I've seen
references to a failover URI:

failover:(tcp://primary:61616,tcp://secondary:61616)?randomize=false

Is that something that goes in the broker? In the client? I'm finding this
very confusing. If somebody had an example of using that failover URI in
practice, that'd be a huge help.

I guess my main question/concern is client configuration. If I have a
master/slave setup (with the master and slave on two different machines),
how will the clients resolve the proper Active MQ instance to which they're
supposed to connect? How do I do this without losing messages?

Apologies if this has been answered already in the forums.

Thanks.

Michael