activemq-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Gies <ag...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Fast producers,slow consumer... queue growing forever
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:59:16 GMT
Hi there,

I have run into a similar issue with a later version of ActiveMQ and
have blogged about that.
Perhaps that helps you: http://open-source-adventures.blogspot.com/2009/01/limiting-disk-store-usage-with-active.html

Best regards
Andreas

On Mar 11, 2009, at 6:24 PM, pclovec wrote:

> Make met same problem
>
> Yenki wrote:
>>
>> Hi, for the last few days I’ve been trying to solve a fast
>> producers /
>> slow consumer problem. I want a limited amount of messages fetch on
>> the
>> consumer (this works) but I also want to have a limited amount of
>> messages
>> in the queue itself (doesn’t work). I use ActiveMQ 4.1.2 Here is
>> what I
>> tried:
>>
>> #1 Setup destinations policies
>> I added this to my activemq.xml
>>
>>    <destinationPolicy>
>>      <policyMap><policyEntries>
>>          <policyEntry queue=">">
>>            <pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
>>              <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit="10"/>
>>            </pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
>> 	    <messageEvictionStrategy>
>> 	      <oldestMessageEvictionStrategy/>
>>            </messageEvictionStrategy >
>>          </policyEntry>
>>      </policyEntries></policyMap>
>>    </destinationPolicy>
>>
>> How can I know if my policies are applied? They don’t seem to be
>> because
>> when I run my application my queue is growing until out of memory.
>> What I
>> see from JMX…
>> -QueueSize of my queue growing forever (with prefetch of 20 & pending
>> limit of 10 I would expect a max of 30 right?)
>> -MaximumPendingMessageLimit=0 for the non-durable subscription to
>> this
>> queue
>>

>> #2 Queue configurations
>> I tried to set MaximumPendingMessageLimit when I create the queue.
>> mySession.createQueue(“MyQueue” +
>> "?consumer.prefetchSize=20&consumer.maximumPendingMessageLimit=10");
>>
>> What I see from JMX…
>> -QueueSize of my queue growing forever
>> -The value for the non-durable subscription to this queue are:
>>      MaximumPendingMessageLimit=10
>>      PrefetchSize=20
>>
>> #3 Memory limit
>> As a last resort I tried to set a memory limit on my policyEntry
>> and on my
>> broker and it is still growing forever.
>> From JMX I see the MemoryPercentageUsed always to 0 for both broker
>> and
>> Queue. I run Broken embedded in the same VM than my application.
>> Maybe it
>> can explain why.
>>
>> Could someone help me make my PendingMessageLimit works so I don’t
>> run out
>> of memory.
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Yannick
>>

> --

---
Mit freundlichen Grüssen - Kind Regards
Andreas Gies
Principal Consultant
Open Source Center of Competence

Progress Software GmbH
Agrippinawerft 26
50678 Köln

E-Mail      	agies@progress.com
Direct Line 	+49 (0)9953 980349
Mobile      	+49 (0)170 5759611
Skype        	+44 (0)20 3239 2922
Skype       	+353 (0)1 443 4971
Skype       	+1 (0)781 262 0168

http://www.progress.com
http://fusesource.com
http://open-source-adventures.blogspot.com

Progress Software GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Agrippinawerft 26, 50678 Koeln;
Niederlassung: Fuerstenrieder Str. 279, 81377 Muenchen
Amtsgericht Koeln, HRB 15620;
Geschaeftsfuehrung: David Ireland