activemq-users mailing list archives

From Erik Drolshammer <erik-...@fjas.no>
Subject Re: Clustering for HA
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:17:14 GMT
Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Erik Drolshammer <erik-dev@fjas.no> wrote:
>> Hi!

Good morning :)

>> We try to set up two brokers according to [1] to get some redundancy in our
>> solution. The shared filesystem is based on GFS, but it doesn't seem to work
>> that well. The master node use a lot of cpu, but the throughput is horrible.
>>

>> Can anyone point me to some resources describing the setup?
>> Any debug tips?
>
> The only setup that's needed for the shared filesystem master/slave is
> noting the same data directory location for each ActiveMQ instance.
> That's it. ActiveMQ takes care of the rest based on the filesystem
> locking.

I have this element in activemq.conf on two nodes:

<broker xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core" useJmx="true"
           dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/data">

    <persistenceAdapter>
       <journaledJDBC dataDirectory="/home/mq"/>
     </persistenceAdapter>

Does this seem correct (and adequate)?

It seems this setup use DerbyDB and not Kahastore. Is this the only
option? Are there alternative setups that I might try?

> According to the Wikipedia entry for the Google File System (GFS), it
> is mainly used for data that is 'extremely rarely overwritten, or
> shrunk; files are usually appended to or read.'
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_File_System
>
> Given this essential fact, I'd say that GFS is probably not a good
> candidate for use by ActiveMQ since the ActiveMQ data is in almost a
> constant churn of being written and removed as messages flow through
> the broker. Could this be the cause of the high CPU usage and poor
> throughput?

Perhaps. Btw, I meant Redhat GFS [1], not Google FS. Do you know if
Redhat FS is a good solution?
Or what setup would you recommend?

We currently use ActiveMQ 5.2.0 on RedHat platform as indicated.

[1]http://www.redhat.com/gfs/

--
Best regards,

Erik Drolshammer