activemq-users mailing list archives

From Gary Tully <gary.tu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Active consumers question
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:31:42 GMT
2009/2/25 Eric Chu <eric.chu@gmail.com>

> Hi everyone,
>
> 2 part question:
>
> 1) What is the exact definition of an "Active Consumer"? I'm wondering what
> conditions would cause a broker to consider that a consumer went from
> active
> to inactive.

In ActiveMQ, in the absence of a close() call,  'active' is tied to the
connection.

> 2) Specifically, if a consumer receives a set of messages and does not send
> back an ACK for a period of time (let's say 5 min), is it still considered
> active?

Yes, but you may encounter an inactivityTimeout on the connection if using
tcp: and not failover. If a connection is inactive for more than 30 seconds
(by default) it is considered dead and will be closed. See the reference for
details on how to configure an
inactivityTimeout<http://activemq.apache.org/configuring-wire-formats.html>

--
http://blog.garytully.com