activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Meise, Christoph" <Christoph.Me...@ImmobilienScout24.de>
Subject AW: onMessage long execution
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:21:17 GMT
Hi,

Concerning our first question, the effect that only one message is processed is perfectly
explainable. A JMS Message Listener belongs to a JMS Session and each JMS Session is a single
threaded context (see JMS Spec). So you should decouple long lasting computations from the
session.

-christoph

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: fatcat [mailto:byflam@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Februar 2009 00:58
An: users@activemq.apache.org
Betreff: onMessage long execution

hi,
i have a listener onMessage() that sometimes will take a while to complete(expensive), so
what happen seems like, while if there is a ongoing onMessage is being executed, no other
message will be processed by our code.
is that true that activeMQ only use on thread to dispatch the onMessage call ? is there any
configuration parameter can be used such that, an expensive onMessage execution will not block
the other onMessage call?

Also not sure it is related, but if we send another activeMQ message to another Q through
the input's message's reply address, during a long exeuction of onMessage, the reply message
will never got received in the other queue, although the send method is really being called.

any pointer?