activemq-users mailing list archives

From AFinnell <>
Subject Will pay $ to fix problem with connections failing. Simple example included.
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:14:32 GMT

ActiveMQ version: 5.2, 5.1, 4.1.1
Eclipse Equinox OSGi Version: 3.4
JVM: 1.6.0_11

I have a very simple example to illustrate the problem I am experiencing.
Connect to an ActiveMQ broker within a simple OSGi Equinox container. The
connection either fails or takes over 15 seconds to establish the
connection. Something is interferring with the ActiveMQ connection and I
can't figure out what. This doesn't happen outside of the OSGi framework.

Put the following code in the start() method of a plugin and run the plugin
by itself.

ActiveMQConnectionFactory connectionFactory =
      new ActiveMQConnectionFactory("tcp://localhost:61616");

TopicConnection connection =
           (TopicConnection) connectionFactory.createTopicConnection();

System.out.println ("Starting connection");
connection.start(); // <-- this takes over 15 seconds.
System.out.println("Connection established");

I really need this to work as ActiveMQ is the only Open Source JMS
implementation that is robust enough for our needs except it seems to have
problems with OSGi Equinox.

I am serious about paying some money to find a solution to this. It really
seems like something is thrashing inside of ActiveMQ.

Here is a prepackaged Eclipse project, all that is needed are the ActiveMQ
libraries in the lib directory.