activemq-users mailing list archives

From hackingbear <hackingb...@gmail.com>
Subject Severe performance hit upgrading to 5.2.0 from 5.1
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:38:20 GMT

Hi,

I upgraded to 5.2.0 last week and witness my application performance dropped
substantially. I wrote a simple test which does:

producer:
  loop
    create a temporary reply queue
    send a short object message to a non-persistent, non-durable queue
    read from reply queue
    delete the reply queue

consumer:
  read the message
  send the same object back to the reply queue

In 5.1, I get to 91 msg/s but in 5.2.0, I only get 17 msg/s

The configurations are pretty much identical between the two versions:
5.2: -Xmx512M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=false
5.1: -Xmx386m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=false

prefetch=1 for both versions.

(Notes worthy: the test program producer/consumers are using the 5.2
activemq-all.jar, only the broker server is changed in the tests.)

I know the implication of the UseDedicatedTaskRunner and prefetch, but here
they are identical for both versions.

Why is there such a huge performance hit in 5.2?

Thanks