activemq-users mailing list archives

From soody <atins...@gmail.com>
Subject JMS pooling... pool package in activeMQ
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:55:02 GMT

I am working on JMS pooling and have a few doubts
1)I was going through the pool package of ActiveMQ. In PooledMessageProducer
we have s.th like

 // just in case let only one thread send at once
        synchronized (messageProducer) {
            messageProducer.send(destination, message, deliveryMode,
priority, timeToLive);
}

in the send method.

I am not sure why we need to have the send synchronized. AS far as I
understand we can use as many producers from a session and send msgs in
parallel from them to the same destination.... Only thing that can get
messed up is there will be no order in which these msgs are sent. But I
guess when we decided to use multiple threads to send msgs we have anyways
made our choice to drop the sequencing order.

2)Also there has been much discussion the pooling thing but there is nothing
concrete. I guess for any JMS client we can write a wrapper around the
PooledConnectionFactory and other classes and make sure that we have a
number of connections and a pool of sessions associated with it. We can use
these for pooling.
Does it make any diff if we use this for producing or consumption of msgs.
Please note I am talking about a standalone JMS Client, no springs included
and a pretty generic client that can work with any JMS provider.