activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Handling messages in the ActiveMQ thread best practices?
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:08:09 GMT

On 28 Jan 2009, at 20:21, darrickc wrote:

> I haven't been able to find anywhere the best practices for handling
> messages
> coming from ActiveMQ. When I receive a message via onMessage() I am
> in an
> ActiveMQ thread. Is it best to act on this message in non-ActiveMQ
> thread,
> or is it ok to do my work in the ActiveMQ thread? Will lengthy
> calculations
> slow ActiveMQ if they are performed in the ActiveMQ thread that an
> onMessage() gets called in? Currently I am doing both, for some
> things a
> spawn a worker thread to handle incoming messages, but sometimes I
> do quick
> things in the ActiveMQ thread.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --

Good question! - but there isn't a simple answer. It depends a lot on
the rate of messages and the message type. ActiveMQ has a number of
different strategies for ensuring that if you have a slow consumer
(your taking a long time to process a message) - it won't blow your
application memory. However, you may have already built in such
strategies in your application (like overflowing to disk etc). If you
haven't let ActiveMQ do the hard work for you ...

cheers,

Rob

Rob Davies
http://fusesource.com