activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: actual status of activeMQ and AMQP
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:10:09 GMT
The AMQP reality is that only new message brokers will implement it -
simply because you'd have to re-write the message broker to
accommodate it. Which is why you won't see any of the traditional
messaging platforms  like Webshpere MQ, SonicMQ or Tibco EMS, RV
implementing any time soon. We would love to offer full support for it
in ActiveMQ  - but that's going to take  lot of investment and a lot
of work.

Its a shame the AMQP spec writers didn't concentrate on making AMQP
simple to use and implement for existing messaging platforms in the
same way STOMP did - which is why both OpenMQ and RabbitMQ  support
STOMP - and SonicMQ will probably being doing the same in the future
too.

The AMQP protocol is open argument kinda disappears up its own
backside once folks realize the cost of entry - that a vendor has to
start from scratch to implement it - so in reality AMQP == RedHat
currently for enterprises.  Ironic - when the whole point of AMQP was
to try break vendor lock-in!

cheers,

Rob

Rob Davies
http://fusesource.com
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

On 26 Jan 2009, at 18:49, bwtaylor wrote:

> I'll also express strong interest in AMQP and I'll take the liberty
> of saying
> that most people using stomp for cross platform integration with
> ActiveMQ
> should be expressing interest. With the influx of enterprise apps
> being
> written in dynamic languages, AMQP offers high end messaging
> features in a
> platform agnostic way.
>
> I would also caution against assuming that the people who want AMQP
> for
> messaging are likely to seek you out to express that interest. If
> I'm a ruby
> on rails or a django shop and I figure out I need a messaging
> solution for
> cross platform integration, I'll soon have an interest in AMQP.
> When I look
> for implementations I'll find RabbitMQ or Redhat Messaging, or AMQP in
> Fedora 10 and never think about ActiveMQ.
>
> In fact, if you don't support AMQP that will be a talking point
> against
> deploying ActiveMQ in an IT environment where ruby or python apps
> exist.
> I've already had that happen at my company and I've played down AMQP
> as
> still in development, not quite fully baked, but now with Fedora 10
> touting
> AMQP as a major new feature, that argument's lifespan is ending and
> people
> are becoming more aware of it.
>

> James.Strachan wrote:
>>
>> 2008/12/19 loctorp <boris.kartascheff@logica.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I was wondering about the current status of AMQP implementation into
>>> acticeMQ. On the project page it states, that there is a sandbox
>>> version
>>> and
>>> that developement has been paused.
>>>
>>> As we are interested in using activeMQ together with AMQP we were
>>> wondering
>>> if this status has changed and/or are interested in the up-to-date