activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connection creation timeout setting
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:09:29 GMT
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM, icfantv <adam.gordon@readytalk.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a connection such that it will time out if the ActiveMQ
> server isn't running rather than blocking indefinitely.  If I do it in a
> background thread and it never connects, but rather, blocks indefinitely,
> Java provides no way to terminate the thread.
>
> Not to harp on the developers, but this seems like a serious design flaw
> especially since underneath it's probably using the Java network stack which
> supports connection time outs.
>
> If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions or I'm going to be
> forced to delve into the code and perhaps implement some type of time out
> mechanism on the connection.

Just to make sure I understand what you're asking, you don't want the
client thread that's trying to connect to the broker to block until a
connection is completed, correct? You must be using the failover
transport to connect because it will block and wait for the connection
to be made based on its configuration:

http://activemq.apache.org/failover-transport-reference.html

If you use the straight TCP transport without the failover transport
the call will not block and wait:

http://activemq.apache.org/tcp-transport-reference.html

As far as connecting to the broker in an asynchronous manner when
using the failover transport, such functionality does not exist
currently.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/