activemq-users mailing list archives

From darrickc <darricks...@gmail.com>
Subject Handling messages in the ActiveMQ thread best practices?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:21:03 GMT

I haven't been able to find anywhere the best practices for handling messages
coming from ActiveMQ. When I receive a message via onMessage() I am in an
ActiveMQ thread. Is it best to act on this message in non-ActiveMQ thread,
or is it ok to do my work in the ActiveMQ thread? Will lengthy calculations
slow ActiveMQ if they are performed in the ActiveMQ thread that an
onMessage() gets called in? Currently I am doing both, for some things a
spawn a worker thread to handle incoming messages, but sometimes I do quick
things in the ActiveMQ thread.

Thanks in advance!