activemq-users mailing list archives

From bendg <ben.d.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clustering algorithm
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:37:04 GMT

Thanks for the reply James,

My requirement is to have two servers (tomcat), processing any messages
coming in FIFO (via an external interface), regardless of what server they
come in on.  I plan to use Active MQ as the means to co-ordinate the
processing of the messages FIFO across the servers.  But if the two servers
cannot talk to each other (and I have no SAN available), then I want for
them to continue to operate.

I was thinking of running activemq embeded inside each tomcat instance,
wired up using Spring inside a WAR.

Master / slave looks perfect, if I setup master / slave, and require a
commit across master + slave, then
if the master/slave cannot talk, then I cannot add a message to the queue
which is great (I will assume I get a nice exception), as I can then put my
server into a degraded mode.  When my server is running in degraded mode and
it receives messages from its external interfaces, it can then bypass the
queue.

Can I setup active MQ in this manner, or do I need to run active mq outside
tomcat to achieve that?