activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Jahvid.Williams" <jahvid.willi...@napkasystems.com>
Subject Re: Pausing a consumer
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:50:44 GMT

brianbaquiran wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there a way to temporarily pause or throttle messages received by a
> consumer using a messageListener?

As far as i have found in the on_message method for your MessageListener
class you could attempt to slow down the message consumption process,
possibly with a time.sleep(x amt of time).

brianbaquiran wrote:

> So now I'm looking for a way to turn off the MessageListener when the
> number of unacknowledged messages reaches the maximum number allowed, and
> turn on the MessageListener as soon as I receive an ack from the server.
> Is there a correct way to do this?

Im not sure about turning acknowledgments off, but if you wanted to filter
how many messages that can be sent over to your server at a time why not
send a batch of messages over in a queue/list.
 So lets say the server is capable of handling 1000 messages a minute, why
not have a queue/list that stores 500 messages per transfer and dispatch
them to the server (bear in mind given the size of the messages this could
end up using extra bandwidth).

-----
“A foolish man tells a woman to stop talking, but a wise man tells her that
her mouth is extremely beautiful when her lips are closed”