activemq-users mailing list archives

From David Newcomb <david.newc...@bigsoft.co.uk>
Subject Persistant and Non-Persistant queues
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:56:31 GMT

Firstly, I am using Spring to help manage my Topics / Queues.

To start with I'll give a brief explanation of my scenario.

1. Work requests come into my system and are added to a non-persistant queue.
2. Another thread takes entries out of the (non-persistent) queue, does some
stuff and adds the request to a persisted topic.
3. One or more remote hosts pick up requests from the topic and place them in
their local queue.
4. The remote host services the queue and messages are discarded.

Each step transition is part of a transaction. However, there is no need for
a transaction to join them all together i.e. as long as each transition was
successful we can restart from where we left of.

My question is a basic misunderstanding of ConnectionFactories and Brokers.
On steps 1 and 2, I have a persistent and non-persistent queue in an
embedded broker. How do I do this?

 From the http://activemq.apache.org/spring-support.html page it looks like
you can only have one or the other. So do I need 2 brokers or do I do
something with delivery options, or is it defined as a property of the
queue/topic? The connection factory lets you specify the broker as vm://
so how does it know which one you are talking to?

I'm really confused, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
David.