activemq-users mailing list archives

From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Network of Brokers or Standard connections
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 14:54:36 GMT
Hi Tim,
in-lined:

On 2 Dec 2008, at 14:14, Tim Sparg wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm new to ActiveMQ, and am still trying to learn my way around how
> everything works.
>
> I'm trying to find a definitive answer as to the network impact of
> broker to
> broker communication as opposed to broker to consumer communication.
>
> The "How do distributed queues work" page is a bit vague to me. it
> says
> "Store and forward is often used in large networks where producers
> are on
> one LAN and consumers are on another LAN and you wish to use a
> broker on
> each LAN as a kind of network concentrator to minimise chattiness
> over the
> WAN between them (and to minimise the number of connections required
> across
> the WAN too)"
>
> My understanding of the above paragraph is that broker to broker
> communication would reduce network traffic in the case where each
> individual
> LAN has multiple consumers, as there is only one component talking.
> If each individual LAN only had one consumer(as opposed to multiple)
> would
> broker to broker communication still have an advantage over broker to
> consumer communication?
No - it wouldn't - with only one consumer - you may as well avoid the
additional 'hops' of going through a broker

> what do you mean when you say that Broker to broker communication
> generally
> creates less traffic? does that mean that it is according to your
> configuration, or according to the type of distributed messaging you
> use?
A little of both - basically it will only send one copy of a message
across the network - which isn't really applicable to Queues. It also
acts as a buffer, because it will store messages locally to its store
if the network is down - whilst a normal consumer would block until it
could reconnect to the remote broker.