activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Frugia, Kirby A" <kirby.fru...@hp.com>
Subject RE: Broker not releasing memory
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:55:14 GMT
5.1.0.  I believe it's happening with 5.2.0, too, but have not thoroughly tested.

The problem is that the broker runs out of memory.  At the point in time of the failure, no
more messages could be sent anyway because the broker is out of memory.

So we're less worried about blocking producers and more worried about how to maintain the
health of the broker.  We set the message queue limits to prevent more than X messages on
a topic for each consumer.  The queue limits are only set to prevent the broker from running
out of memory if a particular consumer starts blocking.  We are hoping that if a consumer
dies, the queue limits will at least keep any message queues for the dead consumer from going
out of control.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Snyder [mailto:bruce.snyder@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 10:17 AM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Re: Broker not releasing memory

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Frugia, Kirby A <kirby.frugia@hp.com> wrote:
> I can reproduce this with the non-embedded, out-of-the-box broker.  I also think it's
an under-the-hood problem.

> Until we get a fix, we've set pending message queue limits on our busy topics.  So, for
example, the broker will only queue up 500 messages on a particular topic per consumer.  This
will prevent things from getting too out of hand on a single client crash, but is not the
solution to the problem.

What version of ActiveMQ are you using? Also, have you disabled
producer flow control to allow the producer to continue to send even
when the consumer is going very slow?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/