activemq-users mailing list archives

From Dejan Bosanac <dejan.bosa...@ttmsolutions.com>
Subject Re: Network of Brokers or Standard connections
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:50:16 GMT
Hi
> 1) It seems that messages are passed from broker to broker until the message
> reaches a final broker where the consumer for that queue has a connection to
> it. ie. If we have 5 brokers and all have consumers running. If Broker 1
> sends a message(which is intended for Broker 3) to the queue, could the
> message go to broker 2, then to broker 4 and then to broker 3 before it gets
> consumed?

The broker will forward the message only to the broker that has
consumers for the given queue, so it will be consumed there. So if only
broker 3 has an appropriate consumer, the message will not be forwarded
to brokers 2 and 4.

> 2) Is there a difference between "broker to broker communication" and
> "broker to consumer communication" with regards to chattiness over the
> internet (considering the number of connections would be the same regardless
> of the method used ie. if there are 4 clients there will be 4 connections to
> brokers/consumers depending on communication method)

Broker-to-broker communication generally creates less network traffic.

--
Dejan Bosanac

http://www.ttmsolutions.com - get a free ActiveMQ user guide

Scripting in Java - http://www.scriptinginjava.net