activemq-users mailing list archives

From "stefan.moser" <>
Subject What is a reasonable limit for the number of topics?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:53:59 GMT

I'm currently evaluating ActiveMQ for a financial application.  I want to
have a separate topic for each stock which means that for all of the markets
that we're following, we need close to 500,000 topics.  I ran into an
OutOfMemoryException when using v5.* after creating about 1,500 topics. (
detailed here )  The exception does not occur with v4.1.1, but the broker
essentially grinds to halt after creating about 50,000 topics.

Before I go too far down this path, is 500,000 topics an unreasonable
expectation for ActiveMQ?  Are there any configuration tips for this type of