activemq-users mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Reconciliation after ActiveMQ server crash.
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:03:36 GMT
I looked at the failover docs I could find and I think thabach was
asking a different question that AFAICT the failover docs don't
discuss... anyway I've wondered about this question :-) :

Suppose a client sends a message inside a transaction and either the
client or broker crashes before the tx.commit() call has returned.
How can the client determine if the transaction completed, so the
message will be delivered eventually, or failed, so the message needs
to be re-sent?

I recall reading the the big Transaction Processing book that in the
distant past terminals were considered transactional resources so that
unless the user actually saw that the transaction had comitted
successfully, it was not committed: either rolled back or left in the
"prepared" state.

The only way I know of to actually guarantee this is to send the
message inside an xa transaction where the sending of the message is
recorded "locally" somehow, for instance by marking the data that the
message is generated from or by inserting a record into a database.

I would guess that it would often be easier to write message receiving
code that can handle duplicate messages.

There may be other ways to deal with this...

thanks
david jencks