activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Frugia, Kirby A" <kirby.fru...@hp.com>
Subject Broker not releasing memory
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:37:37 GMT
Hi All,

Sorry I dual-posted in the dev list.  I think I sent to the wrong one...

We are seeing an issue with our broker not releasing memory on topics.

Setup:
* Active MQ 5.1 (out of the box)
* Persistent messages sent by publishers
* Non-durable topics

We were seeing an issue in production with slow consumers causing the broker to run out of
memory.

We wrote a test app, which has one publisher and one subscriber to the same topic.  The publisher
sends messages on this topic frequently.  The subscriber, upon receiving a message, goes to
sleep for 10 minutes.

Very quickly, the broker runs out of memory.  When this happens, our publishers can no longer
send messages; the send is blocked. This is expected.  However, if we kill our application
(which cleanly disconnects from the broker), the broker's memory usage (MemoryPercentUsage)
does not go back down.  Also, any new apps that startup will have their publishers blocked.

Shouldn't the broker release the memory associated with these messages?

Thanks,
Kirby