activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Add simple service registry to ActiveMQ
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:39:28 GMT
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Maarten_D <maarten.dirkse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew & Joe,
>
> Thanks for the tips. I looked into ZeroConf as well, but that feature of
> ActiveMQ has almost no documentation, and the project that it relies on,
> jmDNS, has literally no documentation that I could find. I'd rather go with
> something that has a little more info about it out there.
>
> A central DS seems like a good option, especially because JNDI is fairly
> easy to work with. The only downside would be that binding Java objects to
> be discovered basically makes the whole system Java only. As one of our
> components is an MS Exchange plugin, that would be a problem.
>
> I'm actually having a hard time figuring out what ServiceMix uses as its
> service registry. Anyone know?

ServiceMix 3 uses it's own service registry that's hooked into the
NMR, but you can add other types of registries with a little hacking.

ServiceMix 4 uses the OSGi registry.

Joe's solution above using ApacheDS is a good idea because IIRC
multiple instances can be federated. But at that point then you're
pretty much building something very similar to what ServiceMix offers
today. Also, ServiceMix embeds ActiveMQ so you already have the broker
available for messaging. I'm not saying one is better than the other,
just making observations.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/