activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ deployment options
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2008 20:13:11 GMT
On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:00 PM, akkij <akash.jain@coreobjects.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have decided to use ActiveMQ for asynchronous messaging involved in one
> of our projects. I have been going through various documentation related to
> ActiveMQ; however i am looking for a specific information which
> unfortunately i couldn't get.
>
> If i am not mistaken then ActiveMQ can be intalled as a standalone process
> as well as embedded within tomcat server. If this is correct then i would
> like to know which of these 2 options is better and why? What happens to the
> Queue and Messages in case if ActiveMQ is embedded within tomcat and the
> tomcat instance goes down?

ActiveMQ provides a few different deployment options, two of which are
stand alone as its own process and embedded in another process such as
Tomcat. Neither one is inherently better than the other, it really
comes down to the advantages and disadvantages of each that should be
compared for a given situation. Deploying ActiveMQ stand alone means
that it's not dependent upon other processes. Embedding ActiveMQ
inside another process means if that process goes down, so does
ActiveMQ. However, when embedding ActiveMQ in another Java process,
the vm:// protocol can be used to connect to the broker using local
calls without using the network stack. Whereas connecting to ActiveMQ
running stand alone can only be achieved using remote protocols which
involves TCP sockets.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/