activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which client language is better?
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:45:00 GMT
On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:22 AM, jenix <jennifer@digitalartwork.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I will be hiring a developer to develop a small (250 x 250 pixel) widget
> that functions similar to a chat program. This widget will be distributed to
> 1000s of web sites and perhaps displayed on 10,000s of web pages. I would
> like this widget to be lightweight, fast and easily installed.
>
> The widget will stream grid data in real-time (ActiveMQ on the back end) but
> will require user authentication for them to post.  The user will remain on
> the remote site while the authentication is done.
>
> If you were to develop such a widget, which language (ava, C, C++, C#, Ruby,
> Perl, Python, PHP, OpenWire, Stomp, AJAX, Comet, etc.) would you use and
> why?

If this is really going to be used on thousands of sites, you'll
probably need to develop the same widget in many different languages
so as to offer users a choice. Not everyone can or is willing to run
the same language(s) on their web server, (e.g., some will be able to
use Java, some won't want that, some will like a Perl client, some
won't, etc.). So I think it is best to identify your requirements and
then pick a few languages to use that can meet all of those
requirements.

BTW, OpenWire and Stomp are protocols that are utilized by the various
languages, they're not languages in and of themselves. That being
said, the OpenWire protocol is implemented in C/C++, Java and .NET
whereas the Stomp protocol is implemented by all the supported
languages including the scripting languages. OpenWire can handle
binary data whereas Stomp cannot. Do you need to send binary data? If
so, then you'll need to use one of the OpenWire clients. If not, then
you can use any of the Stomp clients.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/