activemq-users mailing list archives

From Maarten_D <maarten.dir...@gmail.com>
Subject Add simple service registry to ActiveMQ
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:12:11 GMT

Hi,

I'm developing a distributed system that has four types of components that
need to work together. At first I just had a simple configuration with 1
component of each type, working and wired together using ActiveMQ. I now
want to expand the system to include multiple components of each type and
support dynamic adding/removing of components. Since the exact topography of
the component network can't be known in advance, I need some sort of
component discovery mechanism.

Let me give a concrete example:
Component A generates messages that need to be processed by component B.
Right now, component A knows where to find component B because it has the
queue name hardwired into its configuration. I want to develop a system
where component A and B can both be started unawares of each other, and
component B can then somehow discover the queue that component A puts its
messages on, and start consuming. That way I could deploy 100 instances of
component B, and not have to do any configuration: they would all know where
to find work.

So now my question: what is the best way to add this sort of service
discovery mechanism to ActiveMQ? I've looked at ServiceMix, which supports
service discovery, but moving to a full-blown ESB just for one feature seems
like overkill. I've also looked at jUDDI, but that seems to be very web
services specific. Of course it would be fairly easy to implement a trivial
service discovery mechanism using just JMS, but I don't want to do the work
unless I really have to.

Does anyone know of a good solution to this problem?

Regards,
Maarten