activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas R. Corbin" <thomas.cor...@gmail.com>
Subject Not quite sure where to go next - network bridging, reliable delivery, store and forward.
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:25:17 GMT

Now, it seems like the recommendation is for Master/Slave for reliable
delivery, but I don't think we can do that.

We've got field laptops which may or may not have connectivity with the central
office, but they want to be able to run the application and have it send
messages that get delivered when the network comes up.

And the client wants the central office to be able to send assignments to the
field whether or not the network to the field laptop is up.

So for the field laptops I've set up an embedded broker which then connects to
a central office broker.   The reason is that the application won't come up if
there isn't a local broker that it can connect to.  If the application is
started w/o a local broker or a connection to the central office it doesn't come
up.   Plus, I wanted the local message persistence so that the user of the
application can trigger messages to be sent even when the connection to the
central office isn't present.

In the central office we've get server processes also with embedded brokers.

I've been fiddling with the setup configuration for the embedded brokers and the
central office brokers and I've gotten to the point that messages from the field
get sent to the central office on reconnect, but don't get sent from the central
office to the field on reconnect.

And everything works if everything is connected.   But if the laptop isn't
connected to the central office when the central office sends out assignments to
the field, then the laptop will never see those messages.

I've tried using durable subscription topics, I've tried setting
"conduitSubscriptions" to both true and false - and I'm not sure if I should
set it one way for the central office broker and the same or different for the
laptop and server process embedded brokers.

The network kind of looks like this:

Field laptop|---------|central office broker|-----|Server Process|

The central office broker is intended to be the "master", in as much as there is
a master - this isn't really a master/slave setup.

I can use JMX to look at the enqueue/dequeue counts to see where messages are
getting hung up - but I am not ever sure why.

I had thought that with durable subscriptions, the messages would get sent,
but that *seems* not to be the case.

I have looked through ActiveMQ bug reports and the online documentation.  Of
which there is a lot, but I am still quite confused.

Seeing as how I'm doing the embedded broker set up in Groovy, rather than in
spring or xbean - should I explicitly be using a DemandForwardingBridge as in
the ThreeBroker tests?   Or does the underlying code just use it anyway?

What would that imply for the activemq.xml config file for the master broker?
Is there configuration that explicitly says use a DemandForwardingBridge?  Or
is the DemandForwardingBridge not the issue?

What should these values be set to?

                        decreaseNetworkConsumerPriority="false"
                        conduitSubscriptions="true"
                        bridgeTempDestinations="true"
                        duplex="true"

Sorry for such a newbie set of questions and so long an email.