activemq-users mailing list archives

From Andy Gross <>
Subject Writing a custom (non-JMS) TCP protocol
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 00:11:47 GMT

I'm currently using ActiveMQ in a mixed-language environment.   For
the non-Java clients, I hacked the Ajax/MessageListener servlet
modules to produce JSON and wrote clients using the HTTP client/JSON
libraries of the respective languages (basically translations of the
Ajax long-poll example in _amq.js).

The mismatch between HTTP and JMS semantics, as well as the
wierdnesses that arise with HTTP servers, proxies and client libraries
makes this approach suboptimal.   I'd like to develop a custom JSON
over TCP protocol that encapsulates the subset of JMS that we need.
In other words, I'd like to embed an NIO framework like Xsocket inside
ActiveMQ and write connection handlers for my protocol just like one
writes Jetty servlets in the default distribution.

I've searched the wiki and mailing list archives pretty well and
haven't seen this question come up.  Any help (including pointers to
code) would be most appreciated.

Andy Gross

View raw message