activemq-users mailing list archives

From kneumei <k...@pramari.com>
Subject How to properly close a queue?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:22:29 GMT

Hi,
I am building an application in which I am using ActiveMQ to send messages
to clients.  So far I have something like this.  The BrokerService and
connectionFactory are created when my application starts up and are put into
a singleton, and the connectionFactory is made available to other parts of
the program:

 BrokerService broker = new BrokerService();
 broker.addConnector("tcp://localhost:61616");
 broker.setPersistent(false);
 broker.setUseJmx(false);
 broker.start();
ActiveMQConnectionFactory();
 connectionFactory.setBrokerURL("tcp://localhost:61616");

When some part of my program wants to create a new queue, it creates a new
MyMessageQueue object which has these two methods.  The start method is used
to create a new queue, and the stop method is used to destroy it:

	private Connection connection;
	private Session session;
	private Destination destination;
	private MessageProducer messageProducer;
	private String queueName;

	public MessageQueueImpl(String queueName) {
		this.queueName = queueName;
	}

	public void startMessageQueue(ConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
			throws JMSException {
		connection = connectionFactory.createConnection();
		connection.start();
		session = connection.createSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
		destination = session.createQueue(queueName);
		messageProducer = session.createProducer(destination);
	}

	public void stopMessageQueue() throws JMSException {
		messageProducer.close();
		session.close();
		connection.stop();
		connection.close();
	}

I have recently been profiling my application and noticed that after the
stopMessageQueue() method is called, a thread called
"QueueThread:queue://QUEUENAME"  has not died.  Am I doing something wrong
when shutting down the queue?

Thanks,
Kyle