activemq-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Jabbour <dan...@infoex.com>
Subject STOMP to ActiveMQ/JMS and message type
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 06:10:03 GMT
Team-

I recently upgraded from ActiveMQ 5.1 to ActiveMQ 5.2 broker. I am
sending messages from a Ruby STOMP client and consuming them in a JMS
application. Previously, the messages were coming through as
TextMessages (with ActiveMQ 5.1). After the upgrade, I started getting
ActiveMQBytesMessages. I noticed some list postings back in 2006 about
this issue... but it's interesting it resurfaced after my ActiveMQ
broker upgrade (with no code changes to my producer or consumers).

The summary of the issue as I understand it:
  * The Ruby STOMP client sends "content-length" headers.
  * Previously, it was suggested to patch the Ruby STOMP client to
omit this header, thus forcing JMS/ActiveMQ to evaluate the message as
a TextMessage.
  * However, the STOMP client is also sending "content-type: text/
plain; charset=UTF-8" in the headers.

So my question is two-fold:
  * What changes from ActiveMQ 5.1 to 5.2 that broke the STOMP
client's ability to send TextMessages?
  * It seems silly to patch the STOMP client to omit a header to force
the message type. Why is ActiveMQ/JMS ignoring the content-type: text/
plain header? Wouldn't it make more sense to evaluate that header to
determine the message type?

Thank you very much in advance,

Daniel

--
Daniel Jabbour
Executive Vice President of Systems Architecture