activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <>
Subject Re: Problem building activemq-cpp on cygwin
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:40:38 GMT
We don't really support builds under Cygwin.  While its theoretically
possible to do, I've never seen anyone do it and end up with a
functional / reliable result, Cygwin is just to much of a hack.  You
could try with MinGW but again its not simple.  The only real supported
way to build on windows is to use Visual Studio 2005 or 2008.

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 13:08 -0700, daveatnuwave wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to build activemq-cpp under cygwin (without MinGW).
> Autogen/configure works fine but the make fails almost immediately trying to
> compile LoggingInputStream.cpp. It looks like error is caused by the fact
> the the APR that comes with Cygwin does not have thread support so the
> apr_thread_* types are not declared. I tried to build my own copy of the APR
> with thread support but apparently that's a project in itself. So the
> question is: can activemq-cpp really be build under cygwin as described here
> [1]? If so, how do I get by the APR issues. I'm able to build it fine under
> Ubuntu but I'd like to have it under Cygwin as well.
> Thanks,
> Dave
> [1]
> Make error:
>  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -Wno-uninitialized -DCYGWIN
> -I/usr/include/apr-1 -I/usr/include/apr-1 -I/usr/include -W -Wall -fPI
>  -fstrict-aliasing -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wno-long-long -g -O2 -MT
> activemq/io/libactivemq_cpp_la-LoggingInputStream.lo -MD -MP -MF a
> tivemq/io/.deps/libactivemq_cpp_la-LoggingInputStream.Tpo -c
> activemq/io/LoggingInputStream.cpp  -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC -o activemq/io/
> libs/libactivemq_cpp_la-LoggingInputStream.o
> activemq/io/LoggingInputStream.cpp:1: warning: -fPIC ignored for target (all
> code is position independent)
> In file included from ./decaf/io/FilterInputStream.h:23,
>                  from activemq/io/LoggingInputStream.h:22,
>                  from activemq/io/LoggingInputStream.cpp:18:
> ./decaf/util/concurrent/Mutex.h:50: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of
> `apr_thread_mutex_t' with no type
> ./decaf/util/concurrent/Mutex.h:50: error: expected `;' before '*' token
> ./decaf/util/concurrent/Mutex.h:53: error: `apr_thread_cond_t' was not
> declared in this scope
> ./decaf/util/concurrent/Mutex.h:53: error: template argument 1 is invalid
> ./decaf/util/concurrent/Mutex.h:53: error: template argument 2 is invalid
> ./decaf/util/concurrent/Mutex.h:53: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of
> `eventQ' with no type
> make[2]: *** [activemq/io/libactivemq_cpp_la-LoggingInputStream.lo] Error 1

View raw message